Who’s ready for another #FemaleFridays chat? This week on the Female emPOWERED podcast, my guest was Dr. Carrie Pagliano, a pelvic health physical therapist in Arlington, Virginia. Carrie primarily focuses on postpartum athletes: moms who want to get back into running, HIIT, Crossfit, and other forms of fitness after childbirth.
From physical therapy to pelvic health
Carrie got into pelvic health as a “total, complete accident.” After attending PT school in Philadelphia, she worked as a physical therapist in Philadelphia for a few months. Though her patients were wonderful, the environment wasn’t the best, so Carrie went back home to upstate New York to complete prerequisites for medical school. She then moved to DC to take a job doing pelvic health.
Carrie dabbled in management, orthopedics, and pelvic floor health, trying to figure out what she wanted. Eventually she realized that she didn’t need to separate orthopedics and pelvic floor health, because an issue with one affected the other. Why not treat both at the same time? Now, Carrie serves the D.C. metro area through Carrie Pagliano Physical Therapy with both telehealth and in person services.
We covered a lot of great topics in our discussion, including common pelvic health myths and helping empower patients and clients to make their own decisions and choose their own practitioners. Tune in to the full episode to listen to it all!
In this episode we discuss:
- [04:30] Carrie’s early experiences as a physical therapist in Philadelphia
- [07:30] How Carrie fell into the pelvic health space after leaving Philadelphia, and how she figured out what services she wanted to offer patients
- [11:45] Debunking common pelvic health myths
- [15:00] Why practitioners in every space should ditch the territorialism and use a team approach to treating patients and clients
- [18:45] Giving patients the tools and education they need to care for their health and make their own decisions
- [24:30] Where you can find or follow Carrie online
Links mentioned in this episode:
Thanks for listening! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a review for the show to help other female fitness and wellness professionals find our podcast!
Interested in being a guest on a future Female Friday episode? Email me at [email protected]!