Happy Friday, friends! This week on the Female emPOWERED podcast, my #FemaleFridays guest is Dana Dreifus, owner of Whole Body Studios in Denver, Colorado. Whole Body Studios offers Pilates, barre, yoga, and personal training services to clients of all needs and from all walks of life.
Helping people move — and feel included
Dana came to movement after she was hit and injured by a drunk driver at 19 years old. During rehabilitation for severe head and spine injuries, Dana discovered Pilates and its healing benefits. However, the class she attended didn’t feel quite right — the other participants were older, there was no music playing, and it just didn’t feel like a place where she belonged.
Dana opened Whole Body Studios in 2012 with the goal of creating an inclusive community of fitness, healing, and wellness. She wanted people of all ages and backgrounds to feel like they had a home in her studio space.
I talked to Dana about the different modalities Whole Body Studios offers, how the pandemic impacted businesses like hers in Denver, her advice for other young women thinking of opening their own businesses, and more, so be sure to listen to the whole episode!
In this episode we discuss:
- [02:30] The importance of inclusivity and how Dana built it into her business from the beginning
- [04:00] Expanding from Pilates to barre and yoga and personal training, and which modalities her clients typically gravitate towards
- [07:45] How the COVID-19 pandemic impacted Whole Body Studios and other fitness businesses in Denver
- [11:45] How Dana realized she wanted to go into business for herself
- [13:45] Advice to other young women thinking about opening their own businesses
- [17:00] Where you can find Dana and Whole Body Studios online
Links mentioned in this episode:
Thanks for listening! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a review for the show to help other female fitness and wellness professionals find our podcast!
Interested in being a guest on a future Female Friday episode? Email me at [email protected]!