Happy Friday, Female emPOWERED listeners! My #FemaleFridays guest this week is Dr. Omolara Uwemedimo. Omolara is a life and career strategist who provides Black women with culturally informed strategies and systems to help them reduce burnout and achieve personal and professional fulfillment.
Melanin & Medicine
Omolara followed her childhood dreams of becoming a pediatrician and worked in over 9 countries. After returning, she started to create programs and act as an advocate for Black women, all while continuing to see patients.
After a startling medical diagnosis in 2019, Omolara had to take a step back from her fast-paced career and instead turn to help other Black women rediscover their purpose and achieve their vision for life, without struggle or sacrifice. Her company, Melanin & Medicine, exists to support Black women physicians seeking life, career, or business coaching to help them live powerfully, pivot into their purpose, profit, and find peace.
In this episode we discuss:
- [00:52] How Omolara helps support Black women physicians
- [02:37] Her journey to founding Melanin & Medicine
- [04:07] Society’s expectations of Black women
- [08:30] Relationships we have with money and how that impacts business success
- [22:00] Omolara’s journey from a pediatrician to now a life and career strategist
- [25:20] Rediscovering who she was outside of her work/career
- [31:00] Research of Black women, telomeres, and chronic autoimmune health issues
- [33:49] Code switching and reading the room
- [40:53] Educating young Black girls and racial socialization
- [47:00] Omolara’s coaching programs and courses she offers
Links mentioned in this episode:
Thanks for listening! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a review for the show to help other female fitness and wellness professionals find our podcast!
Interested in being a guest on a future Female Friday episode? Email me at [email protected]!